Monday, May 25, 2015

40th Wedding Anniversary--No Big Deal

Yesterday was my wife's and my 40th wedding anniversary, and as the title of this post indicates, it was no big deal. It was a big round number, sure, and many people are amazed that a relationship--any relationship-- can last so long.

But for Micky and me, we've never really celebrated our wedding anniversary. Sure, we tend go out to dinner because we use our anniversary as an excuse to splurge on a fantastic dinner at our favorite restaurant--but we'll go to Restaurant Nicholas for any reason anyway because it's just about the finest place on earth.

Our philosophy when it comes to our anniversary is if we have to celebrate it as though it were some kind of difficult to attain milestone, then there's probably something wrong with our relationship. It seems that we've always been a highly compatible couple. We've always enjoyed sharing each other's company, we love being together and in so many ways we are our respective yin and yang.

And it's been this way for about 45 years, when we met in our sophomore year in high school. I knew by the end of my junior year that I was going to spend my life with Micky. And that's what happened. I think most people desire the kind of enduring relationship with a special individual that Micky and I have had with each other and all I can really say to them is you have to be lucky. And we've been lucky.

I met the ideal person, married the ideal person, and it has worked out for us. I don't take credit for this, however. We have no magical formula for a successful marriage--you just have to find the right person at an early age when making right decisions are pretty much hit or miss. Having seen so many promising relationships hit the rocks makes me appreciate that it is truly rare for the stars to align as they have for us. So I've been lucky to have found the right woman and vice versa, just as I noted in an earlier post that we are lucky to have raised a couple of kids who turned out okay.

While there have been disappointments along the way in terms of our respective careers, financial trajectories, and my inability to find a wise publisher for my books, in the important things--we've  been lucky, which plays no small role on how one's life unfolds.

Sure, we'll go to to a plush hotel and a fancy restaurant for our 40th anniversary. But not because we need to celebrate an arbitrary milestone in our relationship, but because we have a perfect excuse to eat a great meal and sleep in fancy linens.

I think everyone deserves to get lucky in love--it's made all the difference in the life of this cynic!

No comments:

Post a Comment