Saturday, June 21, 2014

Sorry, Honda--It Was the Mechanic's Fault


In a recent post I heaped copious abuse on Honda Motors in the course of describing how my 2000 Honda Odyssey blew through two transmissions over 150,000 miles. While it is true that there were design flaws leading to transmission miseries for models dating between 1998 and approximately 2003, my most recent unfortunate situation was not due to any design fault.

It seems that when the first tranny blew about three years ago, my mechanic at the time must’ve received a great deal on a rebuilt Honda Accord(!) transmission, so he switched out my flywheel and jerry- rigged it to my car while charging me almost $3,000. This was only discovered by my new mechanic, who ran the serial number of my blown tranny through Honda’s database and discovered the switcheroo.

So imagine that, a transmission built for a car half the size of my Odyssey managed to last more than 40,000 miles before it finally blew up. That’s pretty impressive. What’s not impressive is a mechanic who we’ve trusted to take care of our cars for almost 30 years was probably ripping us off for much of that time. The good thing is his business went under and he’s nowhere to be found.

Very sad and disappointing. I’m not a very trusting person to begin with. Experiences like this don’t help! 

No comments:

Post a Comment