Monday, April 6, 2015

Oldest Guy in the Room

It doesn't seem that long ago that I was usually among the youngest people in my department or company. Everyone else seemed so much older--grayer, paunchier, more mature, set in their ways. Kids, grandkids, and so forth. I generally deferred to their 20 or 30 years of experience, assuming that they learned things along the way that would help me do my job better and faster.

And now, suddenly, I am that guy. I am the oldest person in my department of about 30 workers. I'm the guy with 30 years of experience and, one would think, the person with the accrued wisdom of having been there and done that millions of times.

Today, a couple of the people in my department are as young as my oldest daughter. My boss and department head are at least 10 years my junior. For the most part, my team looks like a bunch of kids. How did that happen? When did it happen?

I look young for my age and keep myself in shape, so people are shocked when I tell them how long I've worked for the company. But one thing I've noticed is how disinterested they are when it comes to seeking advice.

My 20-, 30-, and 40-year-old coworkers seldom come to me for ideas and suggestions, as though my experience is useless to them. I'm fairly good at my job and would be able to offer some tips to help others work more effectively and efficiently. But for some reason, my coworkers are not inclined that way.

This doesn't bother me in the least, since my experience enables me to master and complete  my work in a fraction of the time it would take others. My experience also enables me to coast through my days as I watch others struggle and suffer with their projects.

While I've often suggested ways to potentially achieve better results, those in charge insist on doing things their way--often to a fault.  I'm curious why experience is undervalued in my workplace. Maybe it takes experience to appreciate experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment