Thursday, October 23, 2014

Are You Cut Out For the Corporate LIfe?


I’ve had a moderately successful career in middle management at a major financial services company, despite the fact that I lack many of the qualities needed to be extremely successful in a corporate environment. In fact, the only reason I’ve survived is because I offer a valued skill set, specifically an ability to write and produce a wide range of marketing communication materials in all formats and for almost any audience.

This is a quirky skill set that’s essential to a firm offering its products and services to various audiences, but it limits the upside potential for such a person if he or she doesn’t have the other attributes needed to really climb the ladder. In fact, the following attributes, which I lack, are far more important than the ability to create a web site, write and produce brochures, produce videos, and so forth if you really want to advance into the executive ranks.

Here is what is holding me back from being a smashing corporate success:

I’m an introvert. Organizations dote on outgoing people who like being amongst other outgoing people. Those who can’t function at cocktail parties, conferences, and team-building activities don’t get very far. Plus, I hate public speaking, which is a must when you work in a group.

I’m not a team player. Organizations are all about collaboration and doing things as a team. I tend to create my masterpieces alone in my office and present them to others. When creativity is involved, adding cooks to the piece is not usually synergistic. And I want the credit when I do something well and not have it dispersed to lesser contributors. If it sucks, I’m more than willing to accept the blame.

I don’t schmooze. Schmoozing and small talking your peers and bosses and forming mentor relationships are essential to career growth. I have a physical gag reflex that prevents me from sucking up to superiors and mouth sweet nothings to people I care nothing about.

I resent authority. I’m usually smarter than those in charge and since I’m self-motivating and self-guiding, my bosses usually can’t tell me anything about my performance that I don’t already know.

I have zero leadership skills. Leadership is big in corporations—they look for future leaders. Don’t look at me—I hate supervising people, have no desire for power, can’t do the “rah-rah” thing without suffering bouts of reflux, and, of course, my personal goals always take precedence over corporate goals.

Devoted to the company mission. You must make your company’s goals your personal goals. I’m way too self-centered to care about the company’s mission. If I do my job well, then the company directly benefits. That’s the order of importance for me.

So, if any of my negative traits apply to you, you will not be happy in the corporate life. You’re better off starting your own thing, since unless you’re willing to become the corporation, you will never go far in the corporation.

No comments:

Post a Comment