Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Perfection is Over-Rated and Counter-Productive


We had our kitchen redone about six years ago—refaced cabinets, new tile floor with heat pads and dual thermostats, new fridge and dishwasher. It was all done about about the time my wife lost her job, which constituted half the family income, but that’s another story, another post. We have a half-bath off the kitchen, from which I removed the sink, toilet, lighting fixture and other bolt-ons so my wife could put up new wallpaper. It took her a year. Our lavatory is 4-feet by 4 feet. The wallpapering job looks perfect because my wife is a perfectionist.
            I am not a perfectionist. I’m not so bad that I can claim that for me “good enough is my very best.” I frequently sweat the little things, but seldom if ever sweat the tiny things. My wife takes pride in sweating the tiny…the infinitesimal… the molecular. She is one of those people who take on the look of disturbed pride as they describe themselves as perfectionists. The fruits of their labor, I do admit, are often good, but generally infrequent and well overdue on delivery. In the process, perfectionists tend to endure a constant misery and fear of underperformance while creating a hell of outlandish expectations imposed on partners, bosses, and underlings.
            “But I can tell the difference,” is the perfectionists’ lament, even when there is no difference perceivable to even the trained eye. And even when there is, I’m a believer in the glib retort, “Perfection is the enemy of the good.” Just get on with it. I have written four fair-to-good novels. The perfectionist is still working on his first. And working and working and working with no end in sight.
            Now, when it comes to surgery…

No comments:

Post a Comment